2.5.13

Taranaki Hardcore

We went to Taranaki last week and it was the best. I am irrationally scared that writing about how great it was will replace my actual memory of how great it was, but damn, it was great. Jack's parents live on a beautiful verdant market garden on the beach, so all there is to do is go on walks and eat and drink and read by the fire and read in the hammock and go opshopping, and because his family are so nice it's like staying in a cosy well-decorated hotel where all the staff are your best friends. Sighhhh.
While I was there I also had the pleasure of meeting Jack's lovely grandma, who is a bit of a master knitter. To my delight she let me pore through her box of 1940s knitting patterns, and she is currently knitting me the cardigan on the right with some pale blue wool I got for cheap on Trade Me!

I totally should've bought the Chauvanist Pig board game, although I do not regret leaving behind the mug o' condoms. I did find lots of other great things in opshops, though. I don't have proper photos of any of them yet so here are some Instagram repeats:



Perfect and super comfy red 1960s mary janes which are NZ made and were barely worn when I got them! Plus a rather warm teal mohair Scottish-made cape, then the perfect 1970s pink striped tee worn over a 1990s spotted dress.

10 comments:

  1. Those red mary janes are pretty much the most perfect shoes I've ever seen. I am really curious how you play the 'Chauvinist Pig' game. Do you point out all the acts of chauvinist piggery because I play that game all the time. Donating a mug full of condoms to the op shop seems kind of sad. Also, I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I think that game was using its title as a free pass to be ridiculously sexist and offensive. I still kinda wish I'd bought it.

      Delete
  2. I'm in awe of those red shoes! Just beautiful! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is they are comfy as well! Such a great find.

      Delete
  3. That rock looks like a cross between a Moeraki boulder and a pavlova!
    Just what the world needs - a chauvinist pig game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon Brodie's interpretation of a chauvanist pig game is the best I've heard yet. I play it every day really.

      Delete
  4. I love the shoes and the skirt, so retro! The coat would also be nice for Spring season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww that sounds like the best little trip! especially since his family are so nice and lovely to you, especially his grandma knitting you a cardigan - CUTE! every time i get holidays (i.e. public holidays) the op-shops are always closed, it sucks! i snuck in a bit on the weekend but i miss the days when i used to get weekdays off and could spend a few days in a row going to different areas if i wanted to.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yesssss we are definitely kindred spirits in this respect. I try to get it done on Saturdays but the shops are always so busy and picked-over. I miss my lazy student life because I could pop into opshops every day.

      Delete
  6. I love this post because it is very very interesting.Thanks you very much for shearing this article

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! If you require a specific answer to a question, you can find our email addresses on our 'about' page. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...