31.5.11

Sofa-esque

I don't think I ever mentioned it on here, but on April 1st I turned 19. I bought myself this amazing 1960s velvet dress to mark the occasion, from one of my favourite tiny little thrift stores. It was actually hiding behind the counter, but the old fella who works there knows me well so he kindly let me try it on. He said that years ago someone had donated it and he'd taken it home to his wife, who'd worn it well but was trying to downside her dress collection, so donated it back. He was so happy to see me try it on and discover it fits me like a dream, and he gave it to me for a super tiny price when I said it was a birthday present from myself. Although, the print divides my friends and family into adoring fans vs. 'you look like you're wearing an old lady's sofa'. Pssh. It debuted at my birthday dinner, and has made many outings since.

My dear brother snapped these for me on a drive in the country to go visit my boyfriend. There are so many pretty sights to see in North Canterbury, I can't say it enough!





(Wearing a thrifted 1960s dress, cane handbag from Two Squirrels Vintage, vintage necklace from my boyfriend, amber art deco ring bought in Crete, and t-bar flats off Trademe)

I've booked myself in to get a tiny hair trim to lighten it up before I head off to the intense heat of Southeast Asia in a couple of weeks. I am so nervous- last time I got a proper haircut, I was 15. If they butcher my mane, I'll probably have to become a recluse. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely love it! The print by itself is beautiful, and it is made even better by being velvet! Best of luck with your hair cut! I'm pondering a bob, so definitely know the nervous feeling! Eek!

    x
    www.lostinthehaze.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy very belated birthday! That's a great present to yourself. And ooh, Southeast Asia sounds exciting! Sounds like you have no need to be envious of me. ; )

    Actually, my next post will feature my own 'sofa-as-clothing' item. I'm kind of internatlly divided over whether I like it or not, to be honest. Not with yours though. Yours is velvet, which is a whole other awesome ballgame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grandma sofa dresses are the greatest!!! i have several and adore them. I can't believe that is velvet...what a score. And happy happy belated bday april fools day girl.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is so lovely! Also really like the bow detail in your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, happy very very late birthday! That is a great self birthday present! You look darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday for a month ago. I love the dress. Velvet and floral print are two of my favorite things. Good luck for the haircut. I butcher my own hair most of the time because I am too lazy/poor to go to the hairdresser. That kind of gets rid of any nervousness about getting my hair cut though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy late b-day! pretty, pretty dress! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bag! I love wicker and straw bags (as we call it in the states) and have one with a long chain. They always seem timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. blogger hates me today! the internet ate my comment! it basically said that i was admiring this dress on your flickr during the week and i love the little background story to it! the colours and fit suit you damn perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! If you require a specific answer to a question, you can find our email addresses on our 'about' page. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...